If you are an Office 365 user, you might be looking for ‘how to export PST from Office 365.’ This article will guide you on the best practices to migrate your email data into your system. But first, we should learn about Office 365.
Microsoft Office 365 is prominent software that gives you access to various office tools like Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc. It is a cloud-based software that stores the information on the server. However, it also allows you to migrate the files to your system.
Let’s explore various methods to export Office 365 archive mailbox to PST. You can adopt any technique that suits your requirement.
Methods to Export PST from Office 365
You can use the eDiscovery export tool that is an inbuilt software in Office 365 to export emails. It is a manual procedure and does not require any additional tools. In this technique, you have to perform a sequence of steps in Microsoft Office for email migration.
An easy alternative to the manual method is using third-party software. It is a professional method in which you need not perform complicated steps. You can backup Office 365 emails in PST format at any desired location with just a few simple steps.
1. Manual Method to Download PST Files
Create a New eDiscovery Manager to Start the Search
- Sign in to your Office 365 account and choose the Admin Centre option.
- Select the Security and Compliance tab in the left pane.
- Click on the Permission option from the left side option list. After that, tick the eDiscovery Manager option to create a new permission.
- Now, Modify the properties of the eDiscovery manager to export PST from Office 365. Click on the Edit button in front of the eDiscovery Administrator option.
Create a Search Query to Find the Desired Emails
- After that, go back to the Security and Compliance list and expand the Search and Investigation option.
- Then, select the Content Search option to find emails that you want to export from Office 365.
- Click on the New Search button to create a new search query.
- You can filter the mailbox messages on various parameters like Date, Sender, Size, Subject, etc. To use multiple filters, click on the Add Conditions feature.
- Next, you can also specify the location for the search operation. Tick All locations to start a complete scan or choose the Specific location to select the mailbox.
- If you select the Modify option, you can choose a particular location from where you want to export the emails of Office 365.
- After that, click the Save and run button. A new Save Search window will get opened. Fill in the Name and Description of the search query you created. Next, press the Save button to start the search.
Export PST from Office 365
- Now, return to the Content Search page and check the status of the search operation. Click the Refresh button and open the query.
- A new window will get opened. Check whether the search has been completed or not, and click on the Export results option.
- After that, tick the options you want to change on the Export results page. Otherwise, these options are set at default. Press the Export button to start the migration.
- Next, go back to the Content Search page and choose the Export tab. It will show the progress of the Office 365 email migration.
- Then, click on the Download result to export the PST files and copy the Export key.
- Paste the Export key to the eDiscovery Export Tool and press the Start button to start Office 365 email migration.
- After the process is completed, click on the Close button. Finally, the desired emails have been exported into PST files from Office 365.
Limitations of eDiscovery Export Tool
The manual method to export PST from Office 365 is a good option for users having sufficient technical knowledge. However, the above technique is not suitable for non-technical users or beginners. The manual method is a helpful solution, but it has various limitations.
- It is difficult to perform for beginners or naive users.
- In the above steps, the chances of data corruption are high. So, it is not a reliable method.
- The above process is time-consuming.
- The procedure may get changed with the new update of Office 365.
We need a more convenient option to export Office 365 email to PST because of the above drawbacks. It is advised to use different available Office 365 backup & restore solutions to migrate O365 emails from admin as well as users' accounts.
2. Professional Method to migrate Data
Another way to migrate Microsoft Office 365 emails to PST files is the automatic method. It is a professional method that works for both technical and non-technical users. In this technique, we use third-party software to save Office 365 email to PST files. Office 365 Backup & Restore Tool is a comprehensive software to export the PST from Office 365. It is the easiest solution that offers various features to simplify the OWA email migration process.
Features of Automatic Method
- It is the fastest option to export PST from Office 365 to your system’s local drive.
- This method is a convenient option for both experienced users and beginners.
- The chances of file corruption during the migration are low.
- It does not involve complicated procedures. You can save the emails to your system in a few simple steps.
- Some tools allow you to export the emails to various file formats.
The manual method to export PST from Office 365 is not a suitable option for non-technical users. Also, it has various other limitations that make it an incomplete solution. Reliable software to migrate the email messages is Office 365 Converter Tool. It offers several features that facilitate migration. Thanks for reading this blog. I hope you found it helpful & interesting. Visit this regularly for the latest updates.